Gumbo Grousing

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Am I too old or is it too loud?

I love movies and seeing them in on the big screen is the best way to experience them. However, I haven't been too excited about Hollywood's offerings over the last 12-18 months so I haven't been to the theater much recently. Last night I went to see a "blockbuster" summer movie at a local multiplex. Normally the previews are loud and obnoxious and last night was no exception. The trouble started when the movie began to roll and the sound/volume was cranked up even further. It was painfully loud to me and I have a family history of hearing loss (i.e. if it bugs me, your ears may be bleeding). During action sequences it was too loud even with covered ears. I looked around, but didn't see anyone else other than my wife and I suffering or showing signs of discomfort.

I wanted to go ask the management to turn down the volume but I would have missed part of the movie. I should have left and asked for my money back, but that would have ruined the evening. Sitting through rock concert level sound was painful and ruined the evening. How should a no-win situation be like this handled? In the end an evening that was supposed to be relaxing and fun left me tense with a feeling of being abused. Is there a satisfactory outcome even possible when things like this happen?

Dear lord, I hope this isn't a sign I'm getting old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home